The person who has had chicken pox infection once, will have the virus in his body for a lifetime (in the dorsal root ganglia of spinal cord). But this virus will be in a latent stage and will be suppressed down to be silent by good immunity of the body. When the body immunity falls down, it causes reactivation of the virus leading to a painful skin condition called Herpes zoster or Shingles.
Symptoms of Herpes zoster
- Fever, Headache, Tiredness and general feeling of being unwell.
- Tiny lesions filled with a liquid over reddish skin over face, trunk and limbs.
- The Skin rash are very itchy.
- Muscle and/or joint pain.
Involvement of facial nerve can cause facial palsy.
- Postherpetic neuralgia- Severe pain persisting over the site of lesion for over 1 month duration.
- Generalized spread of infection all over - seen in immunocompromised people.
- Eye involvement - Corneal damage and blindness
The condition will be diagnosed with proper history and thorough clinical examination. In some unusual cases we might have to do Tzank smear, skin biopsy for histopathological examination, PCR and ELISA.
The main stay of treatment is anti viral medication. Antihistamines, topical ointments to soothe itching of the scabs and pain killers might be prescribed depending on the symptoms. In some severe cases with nerve inflammation oral steroids and anti inflammatory medications might be prescribed to prevent acute & dreaded complications
Treatment at 4 Senses, Bangalore for Herpes zoster
Doctors at 4 Senses Clinic take history patiently, examine the patient thoroughly and diagnose the condition with minimal and necessary investigations. After finding out the root cause of problem, they provide accurate treatment. The doctors also counsel on how to prevent further recurrences. If you are looking at treatment for herpes zoster, contact Call:6366494494