Chickenpox also known as varicella, is a highly contagious viral infection caused by Varicella zoster virus. While chickenpox can affect people of any age, most commonly affected are those less than 15years. Disease is more common in the spring & winter season. The disease spreads by direct skin-to-skin contact and via respiratory droplets from the infected individual. One attack of the infection would usually provide a lasting immunity , thereby preventing the recurrence of the same disease. But it can lead to Herpes zoster later in life.
Symptoms of chickenpox
- Fever, Headache, Tiredness and general feeling of being unwell.
- Tiny lesions filled with a liquid over reddish skin over face, trunk and limbs.
- The Skin rash are very itchy.
- Muscle and/or joint pain.
Complications of Chicken pox
The risk of complications are more in immunocompromised children and adults.
- Secondary bacterial infection of skin lesions
- The lesions healing leaving behind scars
- Neurological complications like meningitis, encephalitis etc
- Respiratory complications like pneumonia
- Others - myocarditis, hepatitis, gastritis, pancreatitis etc
The diagnosis of the condition is done by clinical examination. In some situations where is disease presents atypically or unusually we might have to rely on Tzanc smear, isolation of virus in a cell culture, PCR , ELISA etc.
Once the diagnosis is made the condition is treated mainly with anti virals, anti histamines and anti pyretics. Antibiotics might be needed in some cases depending on the signs of secondary bacterial infection.
Chickenpox Treatment at 4 Senses, Bangalore
Doctors at 4 Senses Clinic take history patiently, examine the patient thoroughly and diagnose the condition with minimal and necessary investigations. After finding out the root cause of problem, they provide accurate treatment. The doctors also counsel on how to prevent further recurrences. If you are looking at treatment for ckickenpox, contact Call:6366494494