Dandruff is a common scalp condition marked by white or yellowish flakes of dead skin cells associated with itching . Dandruff can affect people of all ages, though it’s more frequent in men with oily skin.
This is a yeast like fungus that lives quietly, but occasionally it grows out of control, especially on oily skin. it induces scaling and itching because of its lipase activity. Lipase breaks the sebum triglycerides into free fatty acids, which cause irritation to skin and lead to dandruff.
Irritated and oily skin
As mentioned above the sebum is broken down to free fatty acids, which lead to dandruff. Hence the condition can affect scalp and other areas of the body which are rich in oil secreting sebaceous glands, such as the creases around nostrils, the back of the ears, chest, groin and armpits.
Not Shampooing regularly
Not washing the scalp regularly leads to accumulation of oil on the scalp leading to dandruff. Male hormones also known as androgens also cause greasy or oily skin which can lead to dandruff.
Symptoms of Dandruff
- Commonly presents in puberty and may continue into old age.
- Dandruff presents as dry, white, loosely adhered scales, which fall off on brushing the hair and associated with itching of the scalp.
- Yellowish or reddish scaling can appear on the hairline, in and around the ears, or on the nose and chest.
- Aggravates due to stress and in winter season.
- The scales of dandruff are less apparent after hair wash and tend to recur sooner if not treated with suitable medications.
- Many therapeutic options are available which include Anti fungals, anti inflammatory and keratolytics in the form of lotions and shampoos.
- In severe cases oral medications might be needed in the initial stages to control the severity.
Tips to control dandruff
- Scalp wash to be done at least twice a week with medicated shampoos, prescribed by Doctors.
- Do not oil the scalp and leave over night - this would nurture the fungi
- Avoid stress , avoid smoking.
- Have healthy diet rich in omega fatty acids, zinc, biotin.
- Remember the fact that there is no permanent cure but the condition can be fully controlled .
- Consult your dermatologist for further guidance and follow their advice.
Doctor's at 4 Senses Clinic will properly diagnose the root cause of the problem and treat the same efficiently. For Doctor’s Appointment Contact Call:6366494494